Saturday, February 27, 2010

DUP Museum and Freemasons

Spent a deligtfull morning at the DUP museum, indulging in what Mr. Shepherd referrs to as "Sport Museuming for Fun and Profit." More fun that profit, at least today. The Curator, who is absolutly delightfull, allowwed me "behind the ropes" for some closeup examination of a few tidbits. They now have a glass disdplay case of early Utah Masonic items- really fascinating. She was telling us that untill recently the powers that be had kept the stuff hidden. I mysef have never been the least bit bothered by the whole Mormon/Freemason thing. For one, every person whom I have ever met that I knew was a Freemason, has been a real stand-up guy. I cant say the same of every LDS person I have known.
The Freeemasons say, if I understand correctly, that their "rituals" have been passed down from the temple of Solomon. In the LDS church we believe that our Temple Ordinances are an inspired "Restoration" of early truths. If you have one thing being passed down for generations, and a restoration of the same things, to me it seems logical that there would be some remarkable similarities,no?
But once again i digress. And folks, if you havent visited the DUP museum, you really should. I have ben in a lot of museums, and it is hands donw my favorite, there is a ton of stuff to see there. ANd while some of th eartifacts are incorrectly labeled, the curator commited to me this morning that she will make any corrections thatwe bring to her attention. Yee Haw!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Brian,
    Welcome to the blogging world. My husband's relative gave him a "box of stuff" and upon investigation, he found inside two medals that belonged to his great-great grandfather Alma Eldredge. The very same fellow who has his name on the bank in the village. Anyway one medal is for fighting in the Utah - Indain wars, and the other one was presented to him on the Utah semi centennial on July 20-25 1897. It was still in the original box, and was made by Tiffany and Company. They are both mounted and framed, and if you would like to see them I can bring them up during training.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin I would love to see them! Sweet!

    ReplyDelete